At SMBS in the teaching of Art & Design our intent and aims are:
- to ensure that all pupils have full access to the requirements as set out in the National Curriculum for England
- to outline the school’s expectations of the knowledge and skills needed, in order for pupils to work with a range of resources in all areas of Art and Design and to begin to work creatively in 2D and 3D.
- provide a range of Art and Design activities through which pupils experience a sense of achievement and which instills a responsible attitude towards health and safety.
- Each child is given equal opportunity to develop the relevant skills and knowledge.
Creativity is highly valued at St Mary’s. Children take pride in their work and their artwork is displayed prominently throughout the school. Children enjoy using the work of famous artists to inspire their own pieces of art. Children use a wide range of artistic materials to create artwork in a variety of styles.
Take a look at some of our art work:
How can parents help?
Art is an enjoyable activity which is easy to do at home. Here are a few suggestions to get started:
- Save some of your recycling. Create a ‘bits and pieces’ box out of old pieces of paper, card, sweet wrappers, bottles – anything which could make fun and exciting art!
- Have art materials available. Keep art materials easily accessible in the home so that children can practice their artistic skills.
- Be observant. When out and about, encourage children to notice buildings and landscapes around them.
- Look at the links below if you or your children would like to find out more…