At St Mary’s, we have a clear set of values, based upon Jesus’ command to ‘Love your neighbour as yourself’. We are a very inclusive school and welcome families of all backgrounds, races and religions in our school. We celebrate the differences in our school community, and value each individual as unique and special.
Over a two year cycle, we celebrate 12 different Christian Values in our Collective Worship. We also actively promote ‘British Values’ as defined by the UK Government. These are:
- The Rule of Law
- Individual Liberty
- Mutual respect
- Tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs
Here is a document which shows some of the ways in which we promote and celebrate these values:
Over the course of the year, we take every opportunity to explore these themes as they arise through both planned and current events, for example:
- discussing democracy during election times
- discussing current issues in our KS2 Debating Club
- school council visit to Parliament
- our annual International Afternoon which celebrates the rich wealth of diversity within our school
- links to our local foodbank in Paddington
- Learning about our cultural heritage
- and tea with the headteacher, discussing our views and opinions about school and the world around us!
- Children in Year 3 have been thinking about local issues and writing to Westminster Council about changes they would like to see in this area. Here are some of their letters: