Design Technology is an integral part of the curriculum here at St Mary’s Bryanston Square.
The national curriculum for Design Technology aims to ensure that all pupils:
- develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world
- build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users
- critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others
- understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.
Design Technology is a practical subject that encourages and develops originality, creativity and craftmanship. At St Mary’s Bryanston Square, our Design Technology curriculum aims to provide all children with stimulating and engaging opportunities to use their imagination, explore ideas and work creatively in an enjoyable and safe environment.
- Ensure that all pupils have full access to the requirements as set out in the National Curriculum for England
- Promotes an excellent attitude to learning and independent working and passion for the subject and knowledge of, up-to-date technological innovations in materials, products and systems.
- Pupils gain knowledge of materials, components, controls and structures.
- The ability to act as responsible designers and makers, working ethically, using finite materials carefully and working safely.
- Develop levels of originality and the willingness to take creative risks to produce innovative ideas and prototypes.
- The ability to manage risks exceptionally well to manufacture products safely and hygienically.
- The ability to carry out thorough research, show initiative and ask questions to develop an exceptionally detailed knowledge of users’ needs.
- A thorough knowledge of which tools, equipment and materials to use to make their products.
Through our work we aim to develop the following concepts within the subject of Design Technology: to master practical skills; to design, evaluate and improve and to take and use inspiration from designers from different periods, cultures and disciplines.
The aims of the National Curriculum for Design Technology, are used as the basis for our work in this subject area. To read the rest of our policy on Design Technology, please see our school website: https://www.stmarys.bryanston.net/