PE & Sports Premium
What is the Sports Premium?
The government provides funding worth £320 million per year to support its aim of giving children the opportunity to live healthy and active lives. A positive experience of sport and physical activity at a young age can build a lifetime habit of participation and is central to meeting the government’s ambitions for a world-class education system. This money is going directly to primary schools to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children. This means that St Mary's is allocated around an average of £17,000.
The government has set 5 aims for related to the funding for schools to work towards:
- The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity - the Chief Medical Officer guidelines recommend that all children and young people aged 5 to 18 engage in at least 60 minutes of physical activity a day, of which 30 minutes should be in school
- Raising the profile of PE and sport across the school as a tool for whole-school improvement
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- Increased participation in competitive sport
In 2021/22 we intend to use the grant funding for:
- A subscription to Westminster Primary Schools PE & School Sport Package which allows us access to inter-school competitions and training support for our teachers.
- A subscription to Complete PE - a school curriculum which enables clear progressions and development across all year groups.
- Reducing the cost of all our after school sports clubs so they are subsidised or free for all pupils. This aims to significantly increase levels of participation – particularly for more disadvantaged pupils.
- Subsidising our outdoor residential activities (Sayers Croft) for Year 6.
- Opportunities for as many children as possible to take part in Westminster sports events and competitions in a range of different sports
- Additional swimming lessons for Year 6 children to reach National Curriculum objectives
- Investment in high-quality resources and specialist equipment for PE lessons and play times.